How are you feeling today? Do you feel like you’re in the career you imagined yourself being in? Is your life’s plan moving along as you thought it would be moving? Yes? No? Life changes as we move along the path, as the cycle turns or the biological clock ticks. The things that we imagined for ourselves may not be working out as we had contemplated because of certain other things that may have entered stage left or right. So what do we do? Do we pause and remember to get back on course, learn from our experiences, or do we invent those passive little lies to make us feel better about not following those dreams? The longer we make those excuses, the unhappier we will be. Do some of these lies sound familiar?
1.“I’ll do it soon”- This is used often, and how soon (or not) you do it, depends on who you are…is it going to be a month, a year, two years, five, ten? What is it that you’ll be doing soon? Will you be starting a business, getting a better job, writing a book, or maybe finally traveling to somewhere you’ve wanted to see for a long time? Soon is a relative term. Life is for the living, what magic sign are you waiting for? Start now!
2. If I had more money, more time, more connections, more more?” Yes, it is easier to get to where you want to go if you have some of those things, but there are those that have those things and still don’t get to where they want to go. If you want to make things happen, you have to start with believing in yourself and a passion for what it is that you want to do. You have to have a plan and you have to have goals…the rest will follow.
3. I’m too busy, if I only had more time” – Our time is definitely taken up with things we have to do, but if we think about our days, we will begin to see that not everything we do is without a bit of flexibility. What “things” do you fill your days with? Is it chores? In a recent NPR article, “Need a Happiness Boost? by Alison Aubrey, a study is mentioned that suggests when people spend money on time-saving services such as house cleaning or grocery delivery it makes them feel happier compared to money spent on material purchases. It buys back FREE TIME. Do you spend your time watching TV and on social media that could be instead used for researching or advancing your next career or business? Could you be instead spending time meditating or focusing on what your future goals will be? You’d be surprised what time you have.
4. “I’m in a rut”- If you want to move forward you can’t remain focused on what hasn’t worked in the past. Let go of what hasn’t worked, and release the energy that’s been tied up in supporting your regrets so it’s available for all that you wish to create. Can you achieve happiness if you’re comfortable in unhappiness? Imagine what dreams you want to fulfill and let your energy flow in the positive direction.
5. “I’m not worthy”- You may say I’m not ready, but what it is deep down that you may feel…what it is that you may be thinking-is that you’re not worthy. You may have romanticized something for a long time and your expectations have become so high that you’re afraid that should it come to pass, you would mess it up. So what do you do? You talk yourself out of it and say you’re not ready. Maybe you go as far as saying you don’t even want it. You’re afraid. You need to feel you’ve got the power, believe in yourself. We’re all learning along the way.
6. “I’m actually fine with how much I’m earning, I don’t need a better career” – The fear of rejection keeps us from asking for opportunities or moving forwards, it blocks us from reaching our goals and dreams. Often we convince ourselves that we don’t need or deserve a certain amount of money, and so acquiring a certain level of wealth is out of our reach. Being aware that you have this fear is half the battle, it can mean the difference between you’re obtaining your dream career and not.
7. “If I haven’t become successful by now, it’s probably not happening” – You may be 30, or, 40, or 50, or older and feel this way. You may feel as though you’ve given it what you’ve had to give, and you haven’t achieved what you wished to achieve, and depending on how you see your life/career equation, you feel “it is what it is”. Like Yogi Berra said “It ain’t over until it’s over”. You must never give up because you’ll never know your worth if you do. If you have a plan, goals, and passion, you can make it happen. Remember… “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.” ~ Helen Keller
Have you signed up for the FREE MASTER YOUR SUCCESS webinar? If you haven’t yet…CLICK HERE NOW! After you sign up to MASTER YOUR SUCCESS you’ll receive 10 FREE EMPOWERING TOOLS and one more LIFE CHANGING opportunity.